Re: ogonek vs. retroflex hook

From: Thomas M. Widmann (thomas@widmann.uklinux.net)
Date: Wed Apr 02 2003 - 14:29:04 EST

    Peter_Constable@sil.org writes:

    > John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com> wrote on 04/02/2003 10:32:51 AM:
    >
    > > I would replace the normal termination of the main vertical stem
    > > of each letter, and attach the retroflex hook as a straight
    > > continuation of this stem (the i with retroflex hook would end up
    > > looking something like a reversed j).
    >
    > I take it, something like that in the attached image?
    >
    > (See attached file: I-retroflexhook.png)
    > (Source: Brink, Lars; Jørn Lund, Steffen Heger, J. Normann Jørgensen. 1991.
    > Den Store Danske Udtaleordbog. [Copenhagen:] Munksgaard Ordbøger.)

    That character, of course, doesn't represent any retroflex sound but
    rather a semivocalic [i] (frictionless [j]). It is part of the
    phonetic alphabet Dania which is still widely used in Denmark. (I
    believe it was invented by the renowned Danish linguist Otto
    Jespersen, but I might be wrong about that.) For a list of characters
    (without any description of their usage), see
    <http://www.dal.lu.se/~si/pdf/dantab.pdf>. I presume some of them
    (e.g., character 190 [script-g-with-hook-to-the-right]) would be
    candidates for inclusion in Unicode, though the majority could just be
    considered variant glyphs of existing characters.

    /Thomas

    --
    Thomas Widmann                               +44 141 419 9872
    Flat 3/2, 54 Mavisbank Gardens, Glasgow G51 1HL, Scotland, EU