Re: Ancient Greek

From: jameskass@att.net
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 08:47:23 EST

    .
    William Overington wrote,

    > What please is a Hellenistic monogram? I am wondering whether this is going
    > to be a good application of the Private Use Area, either on a permanent
    > basis or on a temporary basis pending making a formal encoding application.
    > In either case, reading about the Private Use Area in Chapter 13 of the
    > Unicode specification available from the http://www.unicode.org webspace may
    > prove interesting.

    This page, which is HTML with many graphics:
    http://www.oldromancoins.com/gegafr1.htm
    ...shows examples of Greek monograms used as numismatic marks.

    See the second illustrated coin, "EGYPT, Ptolemy I, 310-305 B.C.",
    which has three examples.

    Should numismatic marks be codified and encoded to the Standard,
    or would such items be relegated to Private Use Area(s)?

    There's a wealth of such numismatic marks awaiting codification,
    used as mint or privy marks. Not just on ancient coins, but up
    into the modern era.

    Best regards,

    James Kass
    .