Re: f-hook (was Re: Awful Unicode character names )

From: Pim Blokland (pblokland@planet.nl)
Date: Sat Apr 12 2003 - 01:38:16 EDT

    I know this topic has been beaten to death; I didn't want to open
    old conversations or old wounds... Just tried to point out, in the
    context of the bad character names thread, that the use of U+0192 as
    a florin is more widespread than its use as an f-hook, and that
    therefore the name is more of a burden than an asset.
    For modern, "smart" fonts, as far as I know, it shouldn't be a
    problem to have glyph variants for this one; output the roman f with
    hook when it appears as part of a word, and the cursive f when used
    as stand-alone character.
    All this only leaves me wondering why, if U+192 has never been used
    as "function of", I still as of 2003 have to write ƒ in my HTML
    texts when using a guilder. Unless "nof" is some weird HTML
    abbreviation for left hook. But since this is not the place to
    complain about HTML, it's best to rest this topic here.

    Pim Blokland