Re: Variant Glyph Display

From: Christopher John Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Sat Apr 12 2003 - 02:09:04 EDT

     "Chris Pratley" <chrispr@exchange.microsoft.com> wrote:

    > Part of the PUA (starting at the bottom) is used by Word to handle
    > EUDC characters from standards such as Big5, Shift-JIS etc when
    > data from those charsets are mapped to Unicode.

    It might be helpful if the ranges of the PUA which have been grabbed like this by MS Word was documented somewhere where the information is easy to find. While I'd hate to see this become some kind of de facto encoding, MS Word is a rather ubiquitous application and surely you don't want others, who may have perfectly valid reasons for using PUA code points, to have problems with MS Word for no apparent reason.

    BTW I thought "corporate" use of the PUA was supposed to start at U+F9FF and work downward and "end user" use was supposed to start at the bottom (U+E000) and work up. Is there a reason why this wasn't followed in this case?

    - Chris