Re: Variant Glyph Display

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Sun Apr 13 2003 - 14:05:41 EDT

    From: "Christopher John Fynn" <cfynn@gmx.net>

    > It might be helpful if the ranges of the PUA which have been
    > grabbed like this by MS Word was documented somewhere
    > where the information is easy to find.

    For more info on End-User-Defined Characters (EUDC) in MS products, see:

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/intl/unicode_5i7n.asp
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/intl/unicode_3eur.asp
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/intl/unicode_5xir.asp
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/intl/unicode_57w3.asp

    Especially that second entry, which mentions the PUA explicitly.

    > While I'd hate to see this become some kind of de facto encoding,
    > MS Word is a rather ubiquitous application and surely you don't
    > want others, who may have perfectly valid reasons for using PUA
    > code points, to have problems with MS Word for no apparent reason.

    While it is certainly possible for the PUA to be important for specific
    purposes, the needs are usually temporary, as compared to EUDC, which in
    most cases is never temporary. Thus for every one person cursing the
    implementation there are several dozen or more who are praising it.

    And of course no one should be assuming what an OS is going to do with a PUA
    character unless the OS agreed to do it.

    > BTW I thought "corporate" use of the PUA was supposed to start at
    > U+F9FF and work downward and "end user" use was supposed to start
    > at the bottom (U+E000) and work up. Is there a reason why this wasn't
    > followed in this case?

    EUDC is not as "corporate" thing; it is characters defined by end users.

    MichKa [MS]