Re: PUA

From: Christopher John Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 20:52:10 EDT

     "Thomas Chan" <tc31@cornell.edu> wrote:

    > On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Michael Everson wrote:

    > > I was making a cuneiform font with PUA code positions, and found I had to
    > > change a lot of them because OS X had some cool Plane 2 CJK
    > > characters in the range I wanted to use. This was a bit of a pain,
    > > since there was no way of knowing that the range I had chosen was
    > > going to be used more, ah, strongly by someone else....

    > Could you use PUA positions outside the BMP? The CJK gaiji->PUA mappings
    > were all defined when only the BMP's PUA existed, so clashes should only
    > occur there.

    > Thomas Chan

    Unfortunately currently there aren't many font tools that allow you to easily map glyphs to PUA points outside the BMP - and it also may not be easy for users of fonts to enter non BMP PUA characters.

    Anyone know if the PUA codeponts "taken up" by CJK characters like this are the same ones in OS X and in MS Windows?

    _- Chris