Re: Grapheme cluster boundaries and left-side spacing dependent vowels

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2003 - 22:27:04 EDT

    On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

    > James Clark wrote on 04/20/2003 08:39:33 PM:
    >
    > > As I understand it, grapheme cluster boundaries are supposed to be
    > > useful for things like cursor movement: a reasonable default action for
    > > the right arrow key would be to move over one grapheme cluster. For
    > > this reason, I wouldn't expect there to be a boundary before a left-side
    > > dependent vowel: the cursor would have to bounce backwards and forwards
    > > if there was such a boundary.
    >
    > The cursor might similarly bounce back and forth in bidi text; if such
    > behaviour is acceptable for bidi text, might it also be considered
    > acceptable for Indic-reordering text?

      I think two cases are distinct. In bidi text, bouncing back and forth
    is across grapheme boundaries while in what James described, it's
    within a single grapheme. BTW, in some cases, users may want the cursor
    (delete/backspace) to move within a single grapheme (to operate on
    letter-basis) especially at the pre-editing stage (when entering a
    syllable made up of 4 or 5 letters, it is inconvenient to start all the
    way from the first letter just to correct one letter.). So in that case,
    bouncing back and forth may be not just acceptable but necessary.

      Jungshik