Re: Private Use Area

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri Apr 25 2003 - 07:55:59 EDT

    Dear Liwal,

    At 12:38 +0500 2003-04-25, N. R. Liwal wrote:
    >Since I knew you are working in this area, also in our fonts we have
    >used U+20AF for Afghani Sign. I knew many might not like our that
    >liberty on this forum, but our need was so immediate, so we had to
    >assign a code point and we did so.

    You are right, you are NOT allowed to do that! You should use Private
    Use Area code points for such assignments. As it happens, U+20AF is
    DRACHMA SIGN, and that will cause your users problems, I fear. For
    the Afghani we are recommending U+E0B4 for the time being, and hope
    to propose this character as soon as possible.