Re: General punctuation spaces U+2000 to U+200B

From: John Cowan (
Date: Sat Apr 26 2003 - 11:41:39 EDT

  • Next message: Eric Muller: "Re: Private Use Area"

    William Overington scripsit:

    > What is the difference between U+2000 EN QUAD and U+2002 EN SPACE please?
    > What is the difference between U+2001 EM QUAD and U+2003 EM SPACE please?

    There is none; they are canonically equivalent. Only one of each should
    have been encoded. So it goes.

    > In letterpress printing, with handsetting of type from a metal font which
    > had been cast by a typefounder, I always thought of a quad as something like
    > a 2 em quad or a 4 em quad, that is, as a multiple em width block of spacing
    > used at each end of a line of handset type to give stability, or used within
    > a line to space out a fleuron or some such ornament. So an em quad seems
    > not to fit with that, so what is the meaning please?

    Just what you'd expect: a spacer whose width is 1 em.

    "In my last lifetime,                           John Cowan
    I believed in reincarnation;          
    in this lifetime,                     
    I don't."  --Thiagi                   

    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Sat Apr 26 2003 - 12:45:57 EDT