[OT] Re: Country codes

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun Apr 27 2003 - 23:33:30 EDT

    Thomas Chan <tc31 at cornell dot edu> wrote:

    >> The "eurodns" site that Kevin referred to does show the standard "kr"
    >> as the code for South Korea, not "ko".
    >
    > That sort of confusion between country and language codes is not
    > uncommon, perhaps due to a small number that coincide, e.g., fr, de,
    > es, etc.
    >
    > The Korean case is also complicated by the kp country code for North
    > Korea.

    I hadn't drawn the connection to language codes. Yes, of course, "ko"
    is the ISO 639 code for the Korean language, but there is no country
    code "ko" -- North Korea is "kp" (for People's Republic of) and South
    Korea is "kr" (for Republic of).

    Similarly, the Vietnamese language is coded "vi" but the country is
    coded "vn". (Before 1975, there was also a Democratic Republic of
    Viet-Nam (South), coded "vd".)

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/