Re: [OT] multilingual support in MS products (was Re: Kurdish ghayn)

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 01:40:49 EDT

    John,

    An IME is an input method that is useful for abstracting the entry of 10,000
    to 40,000 or more characters in a small interface (20,000-key keyboards are
    generally considered to be inefficient).

    But an IME causes data entry of non-CJK text to be slower then a keyboard
    that covers the same information.

    When one is calling it "overkill" it is not only in relation to development
    effort to create the IME, it is n the amount of extra work it would require
    to actually use it, for no actual, measureable gain.

    MichKa