Re: [OT] multilingual support in MS products (was Re: Kurdish ghayn)

From: Michael \(michka\) Kaplan (michka@trigeminal.com)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 01:45:47 EDT

    I would not go that far, John.

    Dead keys are fine when they are intuitive and what the user expects -- and
    in a lot of Europs this is indeed the case.

    "Keyboard mappers" and Unicode in no way change these facts, and to tell you
    the tuth I have trouble seeing them as even being related at all (dead key
    entries have been in Unicode since NT 3.1 on all NT-based systems, and show
    no sign of slowing down).

    I disagree with the general thrust of Thomas Milo's comments (after speaking
    with several friends of mine in the Netherlands), but that has little to do
    with the fact that dead keys are about as prehistoric as any functionality
    that is used by hundreds of thousands of users? :-)

    MichKa