Re: Unicode Normalization on MS-Windows

From: Jane Liu (xjliu_ca@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 11:27:36 EDT

    Doug,

    Thanks for sharing some backgrounds. Yes, the character "U+FA19" was
    originally from the JIS standard, level-3, IBM extensions and NEC
    selected extensions and it has been assigned two code points: 0xFB7E
    (IBM portion) and 0xEE62 (NEC portion) in the native encoding ...

    Correct me if I'm wrong, it seems to me, not only for this case,
    actually in general, neither Microsoft Windows nor those popular UNIX
    systems (AIX, Solaris, HP-UX) currently supply the explicit support
    of Unicode normalization at the encoding/converison level. I suspect
    this would also apply to all major databases. The bottom line would
    be "WYSIWYG = What You See Is What You Get", Right?

    If that's true, can we conclude that in order to maintain the
    transperancy and round-trip safty between application and OS, the
    application should not use normalization?

    Alos, it would be nice to give the flexibility that allowing the
    application user to choose On/Off of the normalization process,
    however, this may sounds useless since the majority of those systems
    don't even care.

    Jane