RE: Dutch IJ character

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Tue Apr 29 2003 - 04:17:59 EDT

    Thomas Milo wrote:
    > To be honest, the last time I saw key marked AltGr was on the
    > old IBM kbd for Dutch.

    I thought all keyboards had an AltGr key. It's normally the key immediately
    to the right of the space bar. From what you say below, I guess that it may
    be labelled differently on US and other non-European keyboards (just "Alt",
    as the left-hand key?).

    > What is it? What does Gr stand for?

    I have always interpreted "AltGr" as "ALTernate GRaphic (character)".

    > The second Alt key to the right of the space bar? Hm. Didn't know
    > about it. Nor did my informants. RightAlt+c produces © -
    > pretty useless. [...]

    Well, "useless"... On my keyboard (Spanish, but the Italian one is quite
    similar), without an AltGr key I could not program in C or even simply send
    e-mails or change directory, as I wouldn't be able to type, e.g.: