Re: Normalisation question

From: Ben Dougall (bend@freenet.co.uk)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 08:38:34 EDT

    On Friday, May 2, 2003, at 09:40 am, Stefan Persson wrote:

    > Is "x + COMBINING DIACRITICAL MARK 1 + COMBINING DIACRITICAL MARK 2 +
    > ... + COMBINING DIACRITICAL MARK n" equivalent to "x + the same
    > diacritical marks but in a different order"? What I mean with
    > diacritical marks are combining accents above and below, and such
    > things.

    i'm only just learning about unicode myself, so take this with a pinch
    of salt, but this is what i understand from what i've read so far:

    they are not the same i don't think. the order the combining chars are
    listed in the encoding dictates the order they are intended to appear
    visually *from* the base char. so if say, all the combining chars that
    are listed, are to go above the base char: the first combining char
    listed, appears immediately above the base char, and the next listed
    combining char appears above that first combining character, and so on,
    upwards. and it works in the same way in a downwards direction, for
    combining chars below the base char. - the first one listed appears
    directly beneath the base char, next one listed appears below the first
    one etc.

    i'm unsure on how both above and below combining chars together are
    dealt with though.

    this is explained more accuratey in chapter 2 of unicode's v3 pdf book
    (2.6 "combining characters") - not sure if that's still available or
    not as unicode v4 is out - i downloaded it sometime ago.