Re: C string literals with 16-bit Unicode

From: Markus Scherer (markus.scherer@jtcsv.com)
Date: Fri May 02 2003 - 11:24:34 EDT

    Joseph Boyle wrote:
    > For the latest compilers on the platforms we use, syntax for 16-bit ASCII literals is:

    Thank you very much for this list! Do you know which are the compilers and compiler versions that
    are minimally required for this?

    > AIX L"string"

    As far as I know, this may work for 32-bit AIX executables, and may work only for ASCII characters
    because wchar_t is not guaranteed to be 16-bit Unicode, right?
    For 64-bit AIX executables, wchar_t is either 32-bit Unicode or, for one of the zh_TW locales,
    something else.

    > You can define a platform-independent macro for a 16-bit literal by using platform conditionals, and using the ## preprocessor operator to attach the prefix to the string literal argument.

    Yes, but that macro only works if all of your compilers support some form of this syntax. This is
    unfortunately not true for our project at this time. It makes me hopeful though that compiler makers
    are adding support for 16-bit Unicode string literals.

    markus

    --
    Opinions expressed here may not reflect my company's positions unless otherwise noted.