Re: Finite state machines? UTF8: toFold(), normalisation, etc

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Tue May 06 2003 - 10:46:25 EDT

    Theodore H. Smith scripsit:

    > I'm unfamiliar with "trie". What does it mean? If it's less complex
    > than a finite state machine I'm sure that'll be a benefit for me.

    It's a data structure for storing and retrieving (reTRIEving) strings
    efficiently. See http://www.webreference.com/js/tips/000318.html .
    A good Unicode alternative is ternary search trees, which deal with
    the excessive fanout (number of alternatives at each level) that tries
    require:
    http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-02-2001/jw-0216-ternary_p.html .

    > "Bits of Unicode" is in .ppt format. Is that "Power point"? I don't
    > have powerpoint or an app to read .ppt.

    On Windows you can grab the free Powerpoint viewer from Microsoft; on
    Windows and other platforms you can get OpenOffice.org from the site
    of that name.

    --
    I marvel at the creature: so secret and         John Cowan
    so sly as he is, to come sporting in the pool   jcowan@reutershealth.com