Re: unihan.txt

From: Raymond Mercier (RaymondM@compuserve.com)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 16:18:15 EDT

    Thanks for your comments
    At 11:17 07/05/2003 -0700, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    >When the decisions were made to release Unicode 4.0, the numerous
    >updates for Unihan.txt were not yet completed and fully checked, so
    >the release of the update of that file has been delayed until they
    >can be completed and checked.

    As I imagined your stages, I just hoped that there might be time to finish
    it before the volumes are assembled.

    >Instead it shows an erratic and
    > whimsical character that frustrates all the good uses to which it might be
    > put.

    There have been contributions by Andrew West, and to a much lesser extent
    by myself, about the strange collection of mandarin readings. Further, I
    note that of the 214 Kang Xi radicals only about half are noted as such.
    That shows an absence of consistent strategy.

    but your inquiry presupposes that
    the editors are sitting on their duffs waiting for some indication
    that the file should be updated.
    <<

    No, I didn't suppose that, I am just impatient for a really good version.

    Nothing could be further from
    the truth. Massive lists of additions and corrections have already been
    made to Unihan.txt. Those *would* have been released with Unicode 4.0,
    had they been ready in time. They *will* be released, when they are
    ready.
    <<
    Splendid.

    Raymond