Query on setting UTF-8 as encoding in the context of WebSphere application server

From: souravm (souravm@infosys.com)
Date: Wed May 07 2003 - 21:09:22 EDT

    Hi All,

    I've two doubts in using Unicode as encoding for an application which uses WebSphere Application server at the middle tier and Oracle 9i as the database (both running on Solaris OS).

    1. How do I set the charset to UTF-8 in WebSphere application server so that servlet engine uses UTF-8 as the encoding while interpreting the strings in HTTP requests ? Please note that I'm using WebSphere 4.0 which does not uses Servler 2.3 so that I can set the encoding through the API setCharacterEncoding() of HTTPServletRequest.

    2. Assuming that I've an Oracle instance having encoding specified as UTF-8, what is the setting I need to do while connecting from WebSphere to Oracle through JDBC so that JDBC assumes that the data coming from database is in UTF-8 ?

    Thanks in advance,

    Sourav