Re: Decimal separator with more than one character?

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Sat May 17 2003 - 23:04:46 EDT

    Philippe Verdy scripsit:

    > This failed, but the "zh" symbol was adopted for the ISO629
    > language code (instead of "cn" used in ISO646-1 for the country
    > code),

    That's ISO 639 and ISO 3166-1 respectively. ISO 646 is ASCII, and ISO 629
    is about how to determine the manganese content of steel.

    > Canton (now Guandong ? I'm not even sure of the official
    > French orthograph as everybody says "Canton")...

    Guangdong in Pinyin.

    > 3) Same thing for the "oe"and "ae" ligatures; the French "oe" benefits
    > from a compatibility decomposition simply because it was not part of
    > ISO-8859-1, but "ae" does not have the same feature.

    The point is that "ae" is a ligature in some languages and a plain letter
    in others, but "oe" is always a ligature.

    --
    Values of beeta will give rise to dom!          John Cowan
    (5th/6th edition 'mv' said this if you tried    http://www.ccil.org/~cowan