Re: Is it true that Unicode is insufficient for Oriental languages?

From: mjabbar@bangla.net
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 10:44:09 EDT

    Hi,
    It is not only insufficient for the orient. What I have learnt from different
    mails that the proceedure to include a new character is also very bureaucratic.
    Even the experts are very reluctant to listen to the people who uses the
    language.
    What we have found that this consortium has imposed codes to many languages.
    They have not contacted (may be those who were supposed to be contancting were
    not also aware of the situation).
    I am surprised that Unicode consortium has not even listen to the national
    authorities of Bangladesh regarding inclusion of two characters.
    I feel the problem is of the attitude.
    Mustafa Jabbar

    Quoting "Theodore H. Smith" <delete@elfdata.com>:

    > Hi list,
    >
    > I was reading this page:
    >
    > http://www.hastingsresearch.com/net/04-unicode-limitations.shtml
    >
    > It says that Unicode is insufficient for Oriental languages. This is
    > mostly at the bottom of the page, where it says some characters are
    > left out.
    >
    > Personally, I can't say that I have a statement on this one way or the
    > other. But I'd just like to hear what the Unicode experts have to say
    > on this!
    >
    > To be honest, I think the best people to answer this would be anyone
    > brought up in China or Japan "real world" users who know their own
    > language well as well as Unicode. (Not necessarily the same as people
    > of that descent as they might not know the language and also European
    > descent people could have grown up in Oriental countries). And I can't
    > remember hearing from those people on Unicode.
    >
    > --
    > Theodore H. Smith - Macintosh Consultant / Contractor.
    > My website: <www.elfdata.com/>
    >

    > --
    > believed to be clean.

    This mail sent through bangla.net, The First Online Internet Service Provider In Bangladesh