Re: Is it true that Unicode is insufficient for Oriental languages?

From: Jim Allan (jallan@smrtytrek.com)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 18:00:59 EDT

    John Hudson posted:

    > You may also notice, in Plane 1, a whole set of stylistic variants of the
    > Latin alphabet, including italic, script and fraktur (blackletter, also
    > sometimes mistakenly called 'Gothic lettering').

    And in the same section are a set of Latin Letters in Sans Serif style,
    a style that first rose to popularity in the early 19th century, and was
    insultingly named "Gothic" by those who found it *barbaric*.

    The "Gothic" namestuck and is still used today as part of the name of
    many Sans-serif fonts, such as Franklin Gothic.

    Another insulting name given to this type style which stuck and is still
    used was "Grotesque".

    I remember being puzzled when I first encountered fonts of such names
    with very normal looking characters.

    Jim Allan