Re: Re: Is it true that Unicode is insufficient for Oriental languages?

From: David Starner (dvdeug@ispwest.com)
Date: Thu May 22 2003 - 20:33:53 EDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Philippe Verdy
    Sent: 5/22/2003 4:23:31 PM
    To: kenw@sybase.com
    Cc: unicode@unicode.org
    Subject: Re: Is it true that Unicode is insufficient for Oriental languages?

    > 1) to use any existing letter or digit in any script (for example the AE letter or some Runic, Hebrew or Arabic letter, or some Brahmic digit) as a mathematical symbol that needs various styles for meaning different mathematical semantics.

    What does a Fraktur Runic, Hebrew or Arabic letter look like?

    > I hope Unicode will not need to redefine styled variants for ALL existing letters in defined alphabets or abjads of the BMP...

    Why would it? There are a few Latin characters (AE, OE, Thorn, Eth, Sharp S), a few Russian characters (those which are clearly distinct from upper, lower, and small-caps Latin characters), and some more Hebrew characters that might show up in printed math texts. But if they have, they're very rare. What are the odds that
    they will need styled variants on top of that?