Re: Persian or Farsi?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sun May 25 2003 - 21:38:21 EDT

    Michael Everson <everson at evertype dot com> wrote:

    >> Personally, the only authority I care about on this is ISO 639, and
    >> in that standard the English name for the language is "Persian."
    >> Very well, then: my software shall call it "Persian." If ISO 639
    >> called it "Farsi," I would use that name instead.
    >
    > ISO 639 is normative on the code elements; the names are informative,
    > so I would not follow its names as normative. I would tend to favour
    > the ordinary Oxford as an English authority, and certainly the view
    > of the Academy in Iran, first. (As it happens they all agree on
    > "Persian".)

    It's true that the names of languages in ISO 639 are not normative.
    However, I imagine them to have been proposed, discussed, and approved
    by much greater experts than I. So I tend to trust the ISO 639 names in
    the way I described.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/