Re: Dutch IJ, again

From: Pim Blokland (pblokland@planet.nl)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 10:13:42 EDT

    Mark Davis schreef:

    > > Why didn't I find a special casing rule for the *pair* of
    > > characters "ij" with Dutch (nl) in the UCD ?
    >
    > You didn't find it because although various people have
    > muttered about it in the past, nobody has yet made a
    > formal proposal to the UTC, listing all the specific changes
    > that would be needed for the text and data files.

    Oh... I assumed that what had happened was that the solution for the
    casing problem was to include ij and IJ in Unicode as singular
    codepoints.
    Because there ARE words in Dutch where the combination i+j is not
    the same as ij (e.g. "bijectie"), and I wouldn't know how to
    formulate those situations in SpecialCasing.txt.

    In the current situation, we DO have correctly cased codepoints (ij
    and IJ) if we need them, and we have the i+j where we don't need the
    "ij" sound, and if we type ij where we should have typed ij, it's our
    own fault, so other than muttering about awkward input methods for
    U+0133 and fonts that display U+0133 as a square, I don't think
    anything real will change soon.

    Pim Blokland