Re: Dutch IJ, again

From: Thomas M. Widmann (thomas@widmann.uklinux.net)
Date: Mon May 26 2003 - 18:13:33 EDT

    Stefan Persson <alsjebegrijptwatikbedoel@yahoo.se> writes:

    > Pim Blokland wrote:
    >
    > > P.S. I haven't yet stumbled upon any words starting with ij which
    > > were NOT pronounced with the ij sound. I'm beginning to think words
    > > like that don't exist.
    >
    > What if a Dutch source writes about a foreigner whose name begins
    > with "ij"?

    No, then they would presumably type it as "I" + "j", which should be
    enough to make the difference. If, however, it was typed in
    upper-case, and one afterwards tried to title-case it, it would go
    wrong. Also, if the Spanish word "ijada" was ever borrowed into
    Dutch, a real problem would arise.

    However, I think this is becoming rather hypothetical... :-)

    /Thomas

    --
    Thomas Widmann, MA      +44  141 419 9872       Glasgow, Scotland, EU
    thomas@widmann.uklinux.net             http://www.widmann.uklinux.net