RE: [Maybe OT] localized names of the Unicode Control characters

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 06:07:53 EDT

    Sayamindu Dasgupta wrote:
    > This may be OT here, but still.....
    > We are working on GNOME (www.gnome.org) localization into
    > Bengali, and I was wondering, if there are localized names of
    > the Unicode Control characters (like ZWNJ and ZWJ) for non
    > English speaking people. If so, are samples available anywhere??
    > Bengali equivalent of ZWNJ, ZWJ, etc sound terrible :-( (of
    > course, the English versions can also sound terrible to "non
    > techie" people).

    ISO 10646 has the French translation of all the character names. In most
    cases, the French names are just literal translations of the English ones
    but, in a few cases, they have a completely different wording, which can
    provide a better starting point for translations in other languages.

    As you say, those names are often meaningless labels intended for techie
    people. In a user interface, you should probably invent more friendly terms
    (e.g. "joiner", "splitter"), leaving the literal translation (or even just
    the untranslated English term) only in the manual or help file.

    _ Marco