Re: Not snazzy (was: New Unicode Savvy Logo)

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Tue May 27 2003 - 18:37:56 EDT

    Theodore Smith wrote:

    > My first reaction, is that the logos don't look like they compare to
    > other logos in terms of style. For example "Mac OSX" logos, XML logos,
    > and that generally do look more snazzy.

    They were loosely modelled on the W3C HTML validation logo, which
    is comparable, in some ways, in what it is trying to do. See:

    http://www.unicode.org/consortium/newcomer.html

    where the Unicode site uses the W3C NTML logo to indicate our own
    dedication to validating our pages with the W3C HTML validator.

    > My second reaction is that I hope I haven't annoyed anyone.

    Unlikely.

    > My third was that I probably ought to say it anyhow. Maybe they will
    > will take a look at other large organisation's logos and see how to
    > make the Unicode.org logo as snazzy.

    Well, it is a "Unicode Savvy" logo, not a "Unicode Snazzy" logo. ;-)

    And one of the design goals was to make it small (but recognizable),
    so that it wouldn't burden the loading of pages that might want
    to use it. The snazzier you make it, the more you make people
    pay (in time and bytes) for loading the snazz.

    --Ken