RE: Not snazzy (was: New Unicode Savvy Logo)

From: jarkko.hietaniemi@nokia.com
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 04:01:03 EDT

    > A logo with a yellow or light blue or pale green background
    > would be more appealing on various bright backgrounds. I also
    > think that the grey logo is too dark and difficult to red,
    > and the pink logo is quite strange.
    >
    > The red of the checkmark should contrast more by using
    > asaturated color, and the Unicode letters should have
    > well-contrasted borders. The "savvy" word may only be
    > appealing to English readers (other readers may confuse it
    > with "save it" and would not understand it clearly).

    I would much more prefer the red-or-burgundy-white-black scheme
    used in the Unicode consortium website. It's a good clear set
    of colors with lots of contrast, pastel colors just don't work
    across different monitors that well.

    (Of course, this is getting dangerously close to the "color of
    the bikeshed" discussion: http://www.unixguide.net/freebsd/faq/16.19.shtml)

    > I would have much prefered expressions like "smart with
    > Unicode", or "The world speaks Unicode", or simply "this site
    > speaks Unicode", or "Unicode feeds this site", or the small
    > Unicode logo with the text "Best viewed by everyone", or
    > "Unicode speaks your language"...

    I have to agree that I don't much like the "savvy". One more
    alternative could be "Unicode spoken here", or a slight variation
    from the above "Best viewed by anyone". "Unicode savvy" just sounds
    wrong.

    After all this grumpiness I do like the idea of such a logo.