RE: IPA Null Consonant

From: Kent Karlsson (kentk@md.chalmers.se)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 16:50:48 EDT

    Behalf Of
    > jarkko.hietaniemi@nokia.com
    > Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2003 2:32 PM
    > To: everson@evertype.com; unicode@unicode.org
    > Subject: RE: IPA Null Consonant
    >

    > > Kent, the symbol used in linguistics is not the Danish capital
    vowel;
    > > it is the empty set symbol.

    A rather categorical statement from Michael, with which I happen to
    disagree.
    (But I will elaborate on that in another message.)

    > One more linguistic usage sample (don't have any linguistic
    > books at my desk,
    > so I'll have to resort to googling)-- the Finnish "consonant
    > gradation":
    > http://www.uta.fi/~km56049/finnish/diabk.html
    >
    > And I can assure you that the Finnish consonant gradation does not
    change
    > 'k' to the Danish vowel :-) It simply means "disappears" (or in
    reverse,
    > "appears from nothing").

    I understand that. That does not in itself at all disqualify the
    capital LETTER
    o with stroke from being used as a denotation of "empty sound"
    ELSEWHERE,
    e.g. the in the contexts from which this thread originated.

                    /kent k