Re: Not snazzy (was: New Unicode Savvy Logo)

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Wed May 28 2003 - 20:22:51 EDT

    At 02:26 PM 5/28/2003, Edward H Trager wrote:

    >The purpose of having such a logo is to highlight the fact that the web
    >page uses Unicode encoding. There are still millions and millions of
    >people in the world who don't have a clue what Unicode is. Displaying the
    >logo enhances the visibility of Unicode to your web page visitors.

    Then maybe that's what the logo should say: 'Unicode encoded'. That states
    simply and accurately what the logo is intended to communicate.

    Attached is mockup with globe+checkmark image hopefuly conveying something
    along the lines of 'the world speaks Unicode' or 'this website works
    everywhere'.

    Note, I'm a type designer, not a logo designer, so I don't know whether
    this mockup might look too much like something else out there: it's hardly
    an innovative idea.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    If you browse in the shelves that, in American bookstores,
    are labeled New Age, you can find there even Saint Augustine,
    who, as far as I know, was not a fascist. But combining Saint
    Augustine and Stonehenge -- that is a symptom of Ur-Fascism.
                                                                 - Umberto Eco

    UnicEnc.gif