Re: Shift-JIS/Unicode mapping in JAVA

From: Kazuhiro Kazama (kazama@ingrid.org)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 07:56:56 EDT

    From: "Philippe Verdy" <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr>
    Subject: Re: Shift-JIS/Unicode mapping in JAVA
    Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 12:56:58 +0200

    > I think that the canonical name of this encoding should be used, as
    >"Windows-31J" is very uncommon.

    Java's naming policy of canonical encoding names is:

      "If a charset listed in the IANA Charset Registry is supported by an
      implementation of the Java platform then its canonical name must be
      the name listed in the registry."

    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/api/java/nio/charset/Charset.html

    I also think that "Windows-31J" isn't a good name but I can't claim it
    because Microsoft decided its name:-)

    > It is true that MS-CP932 is NOT Shift-JIS, even if it's mostly
    > compatible with it. It was created a long time ago as an extension
    > of an *old* version of the JIS standard, and includes characters
    > that have been later integrated in Shift_JIS.

    Note that "Shift_JIS" is one of Shift-JIS variants. See the IANA
    charset registry.

    Kazuhiro Kazama (kazama@ingrid.org) NTT Network Innovation Laboratories