Re: “book end” or <enclosing characters> in most languages?

From: Pim Blokland (pblokland@planet.nl)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 09:16:03 EDT

    Ben Dougall schreef:

    > the reason i said that bit is html and xml (i know they're not
    human
    > languages and they're certainly not in the area i'm asking about)

    So you were not talking about computer languages and I don't need to
    point out Pascal's (* *) and C's /* */ delimiters for comments?
    OK...

    > i wondering is there any language that uses of more than
    > one glyph for an open or close, like in xml and html? they
    > have a group of characters that together mean open or close

    I seem to recall it was perfectly normal for typesetters to use two
    single quotes instead of one double quote. So citations would be
    entered ''like this'' instead of "like this". That's two characters
    each.
    And there is of course the colloquial habit of speaking the words
    quote and unquote to delimit a citation. These words making up 5 and
    7 characters, respectively.

    Pim Blokland