Re: The role of country codes/Not snazzy

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 11:47:04 EDT

    Marion Gunn scripsit:

    > These silly threads seem to indicate too many people on these two lists are
    > underemployed or interested in developing smokescreens for other activities.

    Insolence *and* paranoia. I see.

    > When a reference to using embryonic ISO 639-3 to 'legitimize' SIL's flawed
    > Ethnologue is let pass with no comment,

    Of course it's flawed. The whole idea of an unflawed list of languages
    is a pipe-dream, because "language" is not a well-defined concept.

    > John Cowan's pet 4-letter word (on ietf-l),

    Distinguo. I mentioned the word (as opposed to using it), I ellipsized
    the vowel (which was part of the point), and I clearly marked my remark
    as humor.

    > one has to ask why more serious professionals do
    > not sign off those lists.

    Feel free to do so at any time; I doubt you will be missed, and I have
    publicly promised not to pursue you beyond them.

    > en-IE is most commonly used to indicate a locale with a different
    > currency, etc., to either en-US or en-UK/GB.

    So it is, but the topic on ietf-languages is languages and their varieites
    and tags therefor, not labels for locales (IMHO a much more flawed concept).

    --
    "And it was said that ever after, if any                John Cowan
    man looked in that Stone, unless he had a               jcowan@reutershealth.com