RE: The role of country codes/Not snazzy

From: Marion Gunn (mgunn@egt.ie)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 10:15:26 EDT

    These silly threads seem to indicate too many people on these two lists are
    underemployed or interested in developing smokescreens for other activities.

    When a reference to using embryonic ISO 639-3 to 'legitimize' SIL's flawed
    Ethnologue is let pass with no comment, but followed only by a feeding
    frenzy over a logo (on unicode@unicode.org) and more of Jon Hanna's
    mishearings of some English spoken in Ireland, plus John Cowan's pet
    4-letter word (on ietf-l), one has to ask why more serious professionals do
    not sign off those lists.

    No disrespect to Sarasvati, who likes real debates on his unicode lists, or
    to the person(s) who convene the ietf list(s), but (in the hope of reaching
    people on those lists still interested in cultural diversity), may I say
    that en-IE is most commonly used to indicate a locale with a different
    currency, etc., to either en-US or en-UK/GB.
    mg

    --
    Marion Gunn * EGT (Estab.1991) * http://www.egt.ie *
    fiosruithe/enquiries: mgunn@egt.ie * eamonn@egt.ie *