Re: U+1D29

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Thu May 29 2003 - 17:56:25 EDT

    António asked:

    > I've just downloaded the PDF files with 4.0 additions (U40-*.pdf). One
    > question: How is one supposed to tell apart the glyphs for U+1D29 and
    > U+1D18?... Or one isn't?... (OK, this question is probably more suited
    > to be posed to IPA, but.)

    Visually, you usually couldn't, any more than you can tell
    apart U+0050 LATIN CAPITAL LETTER P and U+03A1 GREEK CAPITAL
    LETTER RHO in a typical, stylistically harmonized font.

    Don't ask me to vouch for and explain the vagaries of Uralic
    notational practice, which I find alien. ;-) My expectation
    would be that practitioners would not use both U+1D18
    (a small-cap P, for a "semi-voiced" [p] sound -- not really
    a well-defined IPA concept) and U+1D29 (a small-cap RHO,
    for voiceless uvular trill, = IPA <U+0280, U+0325>) in
    the same transcription, however, as even they would get
    confused.

    --Ken