Radical Property (was “book end” or <enclosing characters> in most languages?)

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 05:42:23 EDT

    On Thu, 29 May 2003 16:05:37 -0700 (PDT), Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    > In general, when people are interested in classes of characters,
    > like this, a quick trip into the Unicode Character Database is
    > a useful thing to do. In particular, look for the list of
    > characters with the property "Quotation_Mark" in:
    >
    > http://www.unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/PropList.txt

    I have just noticed that the "Radical" property in PropList.txt comprises :

    2E80..2E99 ; Radical # So [26] CJK RADICAL REPEAT..CJK RADICAL RAP
    2E9B..2EF3 ; Radical # So [89] CJK RADICAL CHOKE..CJK RADICAL C-SIMPLIFIED
    TURTLE
    2F00..2FD5 ; Radical # So [214] KANGXI RADICAL ONE..KANGXI RADICAL FLUTE

    In UCD-4.0.0.html the explanation of the "Radical" property is "Used in
    Ideographic Description Sequences".

    The Yi Radicals (U+A490..A4CF) are modelled directly on the Chinese radicals,
    and are used in exactly the same way as CJK radicals are (for indexing etc.).
    Should they therefore be included in PropList.txt under the Radical property ?

    If Yes, then the explanation of the "Radical" property in UCD.html needs
    amending, as Yi Radicals cannot or should not be used in combination with IDCs.

    If No, then maybe the "Radical" property should be renamed the
    "Ideographic_Radical" property to make explicit its scope.

    Andrew