Re: Announcement: New Unicode Savvy Logo

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Fri May 30 2003 - 06:21:58 EDT

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "William Overington" <WOverington@ngo.globalnet.co.uk>
    To: "Magda Danish (Unicode)" <v-magdad@microsoft.com>; <unicode@unicode.org>
    Cc: <archive@ngo.globalnet.co.uk>
    Sent: Friday, May 30, 2003 10:20 AM
    Subject: Re: Announcement: New Unicode Savvy Logo

    > Now that Mark Davis has made a statement in the Unicode mailing forum which
    > seems to imply that the Unicode Consortium is to consider feedback on these
    > logos, I am writing to ask a few questions please.
    >
    > 1. I tried out the validation procedure on the following page.
    >
    > http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/font7007.htm
    >
    > This is a not too lengthy web page with just Basic Latin letters. It will
    > not validate. It is not clear to me what I need to add to the page to get
    > it to validate. Could there be some very short guidance notes please so
    > that people can try for validation for Unicode Savvy validation easily. For
    > example, suggesting the one or two lines of HTML which need to be added in
    > various circumstances.
    >
    > 2.. What is the situation if a page is encoded entirely properly as far as,
    > say, using UTF-8 goes, yet also uses Private Use Area characters?
    >
    > Could there be a special version of the logo with a square section in a
    > contrasting colour scheme attached contiguously on the right hand side with
    > PUA on it or even in words "contains Private Use Area code points".
    >
    > For example, a page could have characters from the Phaistos Disc Script
    > using the coding scheme from the ConScript Unicode Registry for the Phaistos
    > Disc Script and one of the fonts which supports that encoding would need to
    > be used.
    >
    > For example, a page could have a chess diagram using the code point
    > encodings described in the following page.
    >
    > http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/chess.htm
    >
    > If a web page which includes chess diagrams had a Unicode Savvy logo with a
    > PUA chunk on it, then maybe I could have a "Quest text font will display
    > this page" logo next to it or below it with a link to the following page.
    >
    > http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~ngo/font7007.htm

    Private Use Areas are by definition not interoperable and clearly not designed to be used on the web.
    Their use in a page to display text clearly does not qualify, as it requires proprietary fonts to display them.

    Unless the page uses a technology that allows transporting the proprietary font along with the text that uses these private uses, the logo should not be displayed on that page; even in that case there will be a lot of problems, as fonts are generally assuming support for a technology (even if it's TrueType), and often require some system privileges to install them (autoinstallable embedded fonts also use some technology that is currently not widely available, as there's no open standard to do it).

    *** There are other ways to transport those few characters that may be needed, notably CVG graphics, PNG or GIF bitmaps, or some other markup system, applets, or PDF files, which do not require a specific tuning for a particular page. ***

    For example, one can use the Unicode characters defined for chessboard pieces within a colored HTML table to display a chessboard diagram. This does not require any PUA. Same thing for card games. But diagrams are not really text: do they need Unicode or PUA characters? Most often you'll often create a patchwork of images to create the desired effect without needing to create a new image for each game configuration...

    ----
    Regarding the creation of derived logos and graphics, the currently published page about the logo and trademarks policy seems appropriate: one can create it provided that the TM symbol is displayed, and is not use as a characteristic of a product but as a reference to the Unicode(TM) standard or the Unicode(R) Consortium. Using a link the goes to the Unicode(TM) website, and prohibiting the association between a commercial product name and Unicode in the same logo should then be enough.
    The Unicode logo must not be used abusively: it must not be used in a place or with too large sizes that may let the user think that Unicode supports or recommends the product. So the size of the logo should be smaller than the company or product name, or any title on the page, and the logo should not be placed above or beside the page titles (an ideal place for it is at the bottom of the page).
    The wording of the logo or graphic MUST also follow the rules given in the general trademark policy page (not the logos page recently advertized but currently not linked from the Unicode website). There should be a small note within the copyrights statements of the page (or the copyright notice linked from the page) that states clearly that "Unicode(TM) is a trademark of the Unicode Consortium, Inc." (which here means that the proprietary copyright notice excludes ownership of the included created logos that use the specific "UNi" ligated glyph, or the "Unicode" word). As much as possible (within the limits of the technical constraints) the color used for the Unicode word or the "UNi" ligature should be red, or preferably dark or purple to protect this visual identity from excessive derivations, and it should not be "decorated" with shadows, outlines, patterns (or even photos and graphics that may have their own copyright).
    The smallest rectangular area of the graphic that covers the copyrighted "Unicode" word or "UNi" ligated glyph should have an exclusive Unicode(tm) copyright, and any inclusion of text in blanks areas of that rectangle should be free of any right (so it should not include another trademark or logo).
    With these simple rules, the visual identity of Unicode trademarks will be respected, but composition and usage becomes possible within some limits to refer correctly to the Unicode(TM) open standard.
    -- Philippe.