Re: Rare extinct latin letters

From: jameskass@att.net
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 07:44:37 EDT

    .
    Peter Constable wrote,

    > > So, if they look at fonts such as, for example,
    > > Code2000, Gentium and Junicode and observe which Private Use Area code
    > > points are already in use within that font, then choose code points for
    > the
    > > rare extinct latin letters which code points are not used in the fonts at
    > > which they look, then the chances of getting their chosen characters
    > > implemented in those fonts will be increased.
    >
    > I can't speak for Code2000 and Junicode, but the use of PUA in Gentium is
    > guided solely by the needs of SIL and those with whom we have close working
    > relationships.

    The developer of Code2000 is having enough troubles trying to get
    Unicode 4.0 supported, but is usually interested in helping people
    resolve issues.

    These rare exotic extinct Latin letter forms exist in old texts and
    are studied. They strike me as suitable candidates for encoding.
    (Probably not in the BMP, though...)

    A PUA scheme would be a short-term kludge and could be worked out
    off-list by interested parties. The real solution would be for
    someone with an interest in these characters to oversee a formal
    proposal for their inclusion to the Standard.

    Best regards,

    James Kass
    .