Re: Rare extinct latin letters

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Tue Jun 03 2003 - 12:07:18 EDT

    At 06:39 AM 6/3/2003, Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

    >"Philippe Verdy" <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> wrote on 06/03/2003 07:25:46 AM:
    >
    > > How do you consider the existing "hook" diacritic ?
    >
    >If you're talking about U+0309 COMBINING HOOK ABOVE, I don't think it
    >normally attaches. In fact, it's combining class is 230 'above' and not 214
    >'above attached'.

    Philippe may be thinking of the Vietnamese 'horn', U+031B COMBINING HORN,
    which does attach. My understanding, though, is that this is encoded for
    backwards compatibility, and was the result of a hack necessary to fit
    Vietnamese language support into an 8-bit codepage. It is a long time since
    I have seen any Vietnamese fonts that support the 'horned' vowels by
    attaching this character as a combining diacritic: they all use the
    precomposed horn vowels.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    If you browse in the shelves that, in American bookstores,
    are labeled New Age, you can find there even Saint Augustine,
    who, as far as I know, was not a fascist. But combining Saint
    Augustine and Stonehenge -- that is a symptom of Ur-Fascism.
                                                                 - Umberto Eco