Re: Revised N2586R

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Tue Jun 24 2003 - 01:41:43 EDT

    Michael Everson wrote on 06/23/2003 07:54:13 AM:

    > We have *all* seen the atom sign, and I have,
    > as Liungman points out, seen it on maps, though I don't seem to have
    > such a map here in the house.

    But just because a symbol appears on maps, does that mean it should be
    encoded as a character? I've seen a lot of maps that have a pointed cross
    showing four cardinal points of the compass; should we encode that?

    > Similarly, the fleur-de-lis is a
    > well-known named symbol which can be used to represent a number of
    > things.

    In text? I've seen it on flags, on license plates, on heraldic crests, but
    can't recall seeing it in text.

    > I do the best I can. At the end of the day my document won its case
    > and the five characters were accepted.

    So, this isn't a new proposal? These characters have already been
    accepted? (If so, that's fine.)

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485