Re: Revised N2586R

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2003 - 11:44:59 EDT

    <Peter_Constable at sil dot org> wrote:

    > William Overington wrote on 06/24/2003 05:32:56 AM:
    >
    >> In that the document proposes U+2693 for FLEUR-DE-LIS it would seem
    >> not unreasonable for fontmakers now to be able to produce fonts
    >> having a FLEUR-DE-LIS glyph at U+2693.
    >
    > Bad idea. Bad William. No biscuit.

    Well, wait a minute.

    If it's true that either the UTC or WG2 has formally approved the
    character, for a future version of Unicode or a future amendment to
    10646, then I don't see any reason why font makers can't PRODUCE a font
    with a glyph for the proposed character at the proposed code point.

    They just can't DISTRIBUTE the font until the appropriate standard is
    released.

    It's exactly the same situation with software written to
    standards-in-progress, where the requirements analysis, design,
    implementation, and early testing can all be done against a preliminary
    draft of the standard, but final conformance testing and shipping has to
    wait until the standard is formally approved and released.

    So William can have his biscuit, he just has to wait until Unicode 4.1
    before he can eat it. :-)

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/