Re: Question about Unicode Ranges in TrueType fonts

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 15:09:08 EDT

    Elisha Berns scripsit:

    > It's odd to think that the old way of using Charset identifiers in fonts
    > worked a lot more cleanly for finding fonts matching a language/language
    > group. I would think this kind of core issue would be addressed more
    > cleanly by the font standard.

    Actually it worked by dumb luck (or market forces if you prefer). There
    was never any guarantee that because a font was encoded by Latin-1 that
    it contained glyphs for all the Latin-1 characters.

    --
    All Gaul is divided into three parts: the part          John Cowan
    that cooks with lard and goose fat, the part            www.ccil.org/~cowan