Re: Biblical Hebrew

From: Mark Davis (mark.davis@jtcsv.com)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2003 - 21:34:32 EDT

    1. I agree with Ken about the current lack of precedent for Cfs before
    combining marks. Interestingly, that we do have a proposal to do just
    that, in

    http://www.unicode.org/review/pr-9.pdf

    However, note that the whole purpose of putting the Cf after the Ra is
    to separate it from the halant, so that the halant will ligate with
    the following character rather than the preceding. So in that sense,
    PR#9 is entirely consistent with breaking a combining character
    sequence into two parts.

    2. Because Cfs do break combining sequences, I would be very leery of
    using any of them to solve the Biblical Hebrew issue. One possibility
    is to use a combining mark instead. That is, something with (α) no
    visible glyph, (β) combining class = 0, and (γ) general category = Mn.
    Unlike the Cfs, this would *not* break a combining sequence. There
    would be two possibilities.

    a. define a new character with these characteristics.
    b. use a variation selection character.

    Now, we decided that VS characters would not apply to any but base
    characters, but one of the primary reasons for that was so that they
    wouldn't disturb canonical order. So easing this restriction in this
    case might be reasonable, since that is exactly the point!

    Of course, such a change would need to be sanctioned by the UTC, and
    it might take a while before fonts supported it, but it may be a way
    out, one that doesn't require waiting for the assignment of a new
    character. So this is in the spirit of Ken's original proposal.

    Mark
    http://www.macchiato.com
    ► “Eppur si muove” ◄