Re: Biblical Hebrew (U+034F Combining Grapheme Joiner works)

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Wed Jul 02 2003 - 01:03:22 EDT

    Philippe Verdy wrote on 06/28/2003 02:48:01 AM:

    > If the user strikes the two keys <patah> and <hiriq>, the input method
    > for Traditional Hebrew will generate <patah,CGJ,hiriq>

    That requires* an input method that is aware of the input context (or of
    what has already been input -- but awareness of context is far more
    reliable). How many systems do you know that are capable of that? It
    requires the input drivers, such as keyboard DLLs, that support
    context-sensitive operations; it requires application interfaces that
    allow the input driver to find out from the app what the input context is;
    and it requires applications that support that interface. Can you name for
    me any system on which the existing keyboard driver format supports
    context-sensitive rules? Can you name an application interface that allows
    input methods (other than full-blown input method editors -- i.e.
    something with a composition window) to communicate the input context to
    the input method, and can you name one or more apps that support this
    interface?

    This is all stuff I'd like to see become commonplace for a variety of
    reasons, but I doubt we'll see that happen for the sake of Biblical
    Hebrew.

    *That is, unless you expect the input method to generate CGJ after *every*
    vowel (ugh!).

    > On Windows XP (for example), the language bar (or its
    > user-selected accelerator keys) allows such immediate switch of
    > input methods. I don't see why there would not be for the
    > Hebrew language, two keyboard input methods

    The problem isn't requiring multiple input methods for different purposes;
    it's having an input method and application that can interact with
    particular behaviours.

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485