RE: Yerushala(y)im - or Biblical Hebrew

From: Jony Rosenne (rosennej@qsm.co.il)
Date: Wed Jul 02 2003 - 06:55:02 EDT

    I would like to summarize my understanding:

    1. The sequence Lamed Patah Hiriq is invalid for Hebrew. It is invalid in
    Hebrew to have two vowels for one letter. It may or may not be a valid
    Unicode sequence, but there are many examples of valid Unicode sequences
    that are invalid.

    2. How the GUI (input method, rendering engine etc.) displays an invalid
    sequence is immaterial to this discussion. A compliant Hebrew rendering
    engine is not required to handle invalid Hebrew or to display it in any
    particular way.

    3. How to encode Yerushala(y)im in a valid manner is the subject of this
    discussion.

    4. What device the GUI uses to generate the correct encoding is immaterial
    to this discussion. It may guess the correct encoding or require explicit
    input.

    5. Once we agree on a valid encoding, a compliant GUI will display it
    correctly.

    6. At this point, hopefully there is a visible effect, as the valid sequence
    will display the correct rendering and an invalid sequence will not. The
    rendering should not depend on normalization, whether it normalizes
    internally or by any other means is immaterial to this discussion.

    Jony