Re: Accented ij ligatures (and yery)

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Thu Jul 03 2003 - 08:48:20 EDT

    On 2003.07.01, 15:09, Pim Blokland <pblokland@planet.nl> wrote:

    > Maybe it was a bad idea to include ? as a character in Unicode at all,
    > but now it's there, there's no reason to ignore it when refining the
    > rules, to deprecate it practically.

    Food for thought: How would you compare U+0133 ("ij" digraph) with
    U+044B (cyrillic "y", "yery")?

    Consider that the latter also consists graphically of two separate
    letters: U+044A (hard sign) and U+0456 (old "i") -- though the first
    looks rather like U+044C (soft sign). This is an obvious difference,
    but everything else seems quite comparable. Except nobody in this list
    is making a big fuss about having included U+044B in the standard was
    such a bad idea... ;-)

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin, | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    R. Laureano de Oliveira, 64 r/c esq. |
    PT-1885-050 MOSCAVIDE (LRS) Não me invejo de quem tem |
    +351 934 821 700 carros, parelhas e montes |
    http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ só me invejo de quem bebe |
    http://pagina.de/bandeiras/ a água em todas as fontes |