Re: [OT] When is a character a currency sign?

From: Philippe Verdy (
Date: Tue Jul 08 2003 - 05:53:58 EDT

  • Next message: Philippe Verdy: "Re: Reading Chinese Characters from a browser"

    On Tuesday, July 08, 2003 10:58 AM, Alexandros Diamantidis <> wrote:

    > * Philippe Verdy <> [2003-07-08 02:34]:
    > > With the Euro, a lot of currency units lost their symbol:
    > > - the Greek Drachme symbol (or is it really only a currency symbol
    > > or an alternate form of the Delta?)
    > I don't think the glyph shown in the Unicode charts (a cursive "Δρ")
    > was very common, at least in recent years (that is, I've only seen it
    > in those charts!). The usual abbreviation for drachmas is "Δρχ" or
    > "δρχ".
    > Two other signs I've seen on price stickers and similar places are
    > "ΔΡ" rotated 90° counterclockwise, or a "Δ" over a "Ρ" in a column
    > like this:
    > Δ
    > Ρ
    > These signs were sized to take the same space as digits.

    Such variations are common for a lot of currencies that are marked with a special form of the popular abbreviation.
    I saw the same vertical or diagonal or rotated presentation for "DM" (Deutsch Mark).
    The same could be said for "FB" (franc Belge), "FS" (franc Suisse), "C$" (Canadian dollar), "Fr" (franc), ...

    In France we see similar variations for the abbreviations that follow a price, like "HT" (hors taxes) and "TTC" (toutes taxes comprises - VAT included).

    Generally, the currency sign is assigned a code only if it has some specific glyph design that cannot be created by simple markup added in top of other letters of symbols. But the representative glyph is only indicative, and can often be rendered by such common abbreviation of composition with markup (this can be part of a stylesheet).

    -- Philippe.

    This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.5 : Tue Jul 08 2003 - 06:47:45 EDT