Unicode Conf. in Africa? India? (Re: 24th Unicode Conference - Atlanta, GA ...)

From: Don Osborn (dzo@bisharat.net)
Date: Fri Jul 11 2003 - 16:20:38 EDT

    I've come back to my mailbox a bit amazed to find so much mail on this
    address issue. I'd have to agree with Peter's last on the topic - not to
    prolong the thread (!) but to pick up on his description of Gabon as a
    country "not particularly known for involvement in this industry." Is there
    any likelihood of a Unicode conference being held somewhere in Africa with a
    bit more going on in ICT (South Africa? Ghana?)? Might that be helpful in
    Unicode "outreach" to that continent?

    For that matter what about India, which I did not notice on the list of past
    conference venues? It would seem that multilingual regions such as
    sub-Saharan Africa and South Asia would draw particular local benefits from
    Unicode, and India at least is certainly not lacking in involvement in
    ICT...

    Don Osborn
    Bisharat.net