Re: About the European MES-2 subset (was: PUA Audio Description, Subtitle, Signing)

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Sat Jul 19 2003 - 11:44:19 EDT

    At 15:23 +0200 2003-07-19, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >Unicode does not define the charset (which are defined by ISO10646),

    That isn't true. They both define the same character set. (I will not
    use the term "charset".)

    >but character properties and related algorithms, and (in cooperation
    >with ISO10646) their codepoint assignments.

    The code position assignments are (formally) assigned by WG2, but
    there is consensus between UTC and WG2 on this matter.

    >For me, Unicode is NOT a character set, but an encoded character
    >set, with a small but important nuance: You need to specify a
    >version after Unicode to indicate the character set. So Unicode 4.0
    >is a character set, and a superset of Unicode 3.2, but Unicode alone
    >is not.

    To me, "Unicode" refers to the most recent version. :-)

    >If you just look at this definition, you cannot "prefer Unicode to
    >any subset",

    Yes, I can.

    >because Unicode is just a name of a collection of standards and a
    >collection of character sets and algorithms

    That isn't true. If you think this is true, you really have a lot to
    learn about Unicode.

    >and already is a subset of the next version... If you cannot support
    >the idea of subsets, then don't use Unicode, or wait that the
    >Unicode standard is definitely closed, or permanently consider that
    >is repertoire is now closed and no more characters will be added...
    >Of course you would be wrong.

    I think you mistook me.